Veteran’s Burial Allowance
The U.S. Department of Veteran’s affairs (VA) furnishes a partial reimbursement of eligible veteran’s burial and funeral costs. When the cause of death is service related, the reimbursement is generally described as two payments: (1) a. burial and funeral expense allowance, and (2) a plot interment allowance. You may be entitled to a VA burial allowance if:
- You paid for a veteran’s burial or funeral AND
- You have not been reimbursed by another government agency or some other source, such as the deceased veteran’s employer AND
- The veteran was discharged under conditions other than dishonorable.
In addition, at least one of the following conditions must be met:
- The veteran died because of a service-related disability OR
- The veteran was getting VA pension or compensation at the time of death OR
- The veteran was entitled to receive VA pension or compensation but decided not to reduce his/her military retirement or disability pay or
- The veteran died in a VA hospital or while in a nursing home under VA contract.
Service Related Death
The VA will pay an allowance toward burial and funeral expenses, and a plot interment allowance. If the death happened while the veteran was in a VA hospital or under contracted nursing care, the cost of moving the deceased may be reimbursed.
Non-Service Relate Death
The VA will pay an allowance toward burial expenses.
Headstones and Markers
- The VA furnishes upon request, at no charge to the applicant, a Government headstone or marker to mark the unmarked grave of an eligible veteran in any cemetery around the world.
- Flat bronze, granite or marble markers and upright granite and marble headstones are available
- The style chosen must be consistent with existing monuments at the place of burial. The cemetery must certify that the type chosen is permitted on the grave of the deceased.
- Niche markers are also available to mark columbaria used for inurnment of cremated remains.
Most veterans are eligible for a burial flag. Reservists entitled to retired pay are also eligible to receive a burial flag.
To facilitate receiving veteran benefits for which you may be eligible, you will need the following when you contact the Veterans’ Administration Office:
- Proof of the veteran’s military service (DD 214)
- Service Serial Number
- Marriage License (if applicable)
- Children’s Birth Certificates (if applicable)
- Certified Copy of the Death Certificate
Veterans’ Administration Toll-Free Phone Number: 1-800-827-1000